Saturday 26 September 2015

Sola Fide

by Pastor Ramil N.Carmen





This is part 4 of our series on the book of James.

Most of the known religion in the world would probably try to answer these questions. However, for us Christians, sometimes there are follow up questions:



This is one of the fundamental questions of our Christian faith, the point of argument and the bone of contention in many venues of discussions.








The word sola is the Latin word for “only” and this is where we get the word “solo” and it was used in relation to five key teachings that defined the biblical principles of the Protestants.  One of the key figures in the protestant reformation in the 1500s was Martin Luther.  He was a former Catholic priest who courageously pointed out some of the biblical errors of the church and because of what Martin Luther teaches, he was considered a heretic and he was kicked out of the Catholic clergy and some of his followers protested that order condemning him, hence the term PROTESTANT was coined

Sola scriptura emphasizes the Bible alone as the source of authority for Christians.  

Sola fide emphasizes salvation as a free gift and it's faith alone that saves.


Sola gratia emphasizes grace as the reason for our salvation.  

Solo Christo emphasizes the role of Jesus in salvation and His role as our “high priest” who intercedes on our behalf before the Father.  John 14:6 says   “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.


Soli Deo gloria emphasizes the glory of God as the goal of our lives.  



"Why is salvation by works a popular viewpoint? Why do so many people believe that we can be saved by works?"

Salvation by works is an answer that seems right in the eyes of man.  Salvation by works appeals to our pride and our desire to be in control of our lives.   Our inherent sense of right and wrong demands that if we are to be saved, our “good works” must outweigh our “bad works.”  



Taken in the context of the entire passage (James 2:14–26),   James is not saying our works make us righteous before God.  He is making it clear that real saving faith is demonstrated by good works. The person who claims to be a Christian but lives in disobedience to Christ with a life that is not producing good works is a false or “dead” faith and is not saved. James is making a contrast between two different kinds of faith:



The 1 Million Cheque Illustration:

Supposing I have a cheque for $1million here payable for you.  You asked me Pastor Ramil - why would you give me $1million?  Is it because I cleaned your car the other day or I brought you your favorite food today?  Is it because I help you carry and dispose your old TV?  NO.  I just want give you a $1million cheque because I have lots of money and I am just too generous.  Then you asked me.  So what do I need to do?  Well, just receive it.  Maybe sign the cheque at the back and deposit it to your account.  And so you did.  You signed the cheque and deposited it to your account.

Question:  By signing the cheque and depositing it to your account, DOES THAT MAKE YOU EARN THAT $1MILLION CHEQUE?  Of course not!  That’s what we do when we take a step of faith and receive Christ.  That’s what we do when we pray the sinner’s prayer.  Yes, Christ offers eternal life.  But we don’t earn it but just praying the sinner’s prayer?  That’s eternal life.  Paid for by the blood of Christ.  You think God is cheap?  He sacrificed His only begotten Son and then when we take a step of faith and pray and then we can conclude that, oh, I did some work?  I took a step of faith and prayed the sinners’ prayer. Shame on us if we think that way! Using the same illustration, supposing weeks have passed, you still wear the same dirty clothes.  You still don’t have food on your table.  There was no change in your lifestyle at all. There was no transformation.   Maybe you haven’t deposited the cheque at all.  Maybe your signature on the cheque is fake.  Maybe you threw the cheque in the recycle bin.  The only evidence that you have received and deposited that cheque is when I start to see the change in your life.

Real faith alone saves us – but if we claim that we have found real faith, if we claim that we have found Christ… there must be personal transformation.  

Good works does not save us.  It is is a natural result and proof that we are saved. 

Prayer
Wherever you are, whatever you situation you may be -- you need the love of Jesus in your life. Please say this prayer sincerely from your heart:  

Father God, I confess all my sins to you today.  Please forgive me.  Today, I open my heart to your Son Jesus Christ.  I accept Him in my life as my Savior and as my Lord.  May the Holy Spirit come to my life and make me the kind of person you want me to be.  In Jesus Name, I pray. 
 Amen.

The above article is an excerpt from a sermon delivered at WCCC Richmond during its service on  
Sunday, September 20, 2015.

I apologize if there are grammatical and spelling errors. I also apologize if I have missed acknowledging or making proper references to my sources, if any.  as it is purely unintentional.

If you are looking for a church in British Columbia, Canada please visit our website at:
 www.wordchristiancommunity.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment