Tuesday 24 November 2015

Let's Volt In


About 40 years ago, I was probably in grade 4 or 5 when most of the kids in my generation got really hooked on a television show, the cartoon VOLTES V.  Almost every kid my age would look forward to watching the show every Friday, around 6pm, if my memory serves me right.  We all talked about it the following Monday.  We re-enacted the episodes.  We wore home-made costumes.  We sang the Japanese opening and closing songs.  We sketched the characters on our notebook.  It became a big part of our childhood memories.

Voltes V is an adventure, futuristic saga of mainly siblings fighting against the Boazanians against their invasion of the Earth.   Voltes V,  a robot created by Dr. Ned Armstrong, is a formidable machine formed when five battleships unite and shout "Let's Volt In!"    Each of these powerful machines are piloted by Dr. Armstrong's children:  Steve Armstrong, Big Bert Armstrong, Little John Armstrong.  Two other machines are piloted by Jaime Robinson and Mark Gordon.  The show promotes important lessons about family relationship, the triumph of good over evil and never-ending adventure.

I remember I got into trouble in Grade 5  when my teacher caught me sketching the Voltes V robot on my notebook while the class is on-going.  She was so mad and she made me re-enact one of my favourite part of the show.  First thing that came to my mind was "laser sword" so I shouted it complete with action.  Surprised... my teaching ended up laughing.

I think four or five episodes short of the final ending in April 1979, the Marcos government banned the cartoon show.  The Philippines was under Martial Law from 1972 until 1981 through Proclamation 1081 -- this is the reason why my generation was called "martial law" babies. The boys and girls during my time got too upset...most of us were crying and some recollected the experience years later and said "part of our childhood was snatched away from us."   We never knew how the cartoon ended:  did they finally reunite with their father?  Did good finally prevail over evil?  We never knew...

My only prayer and wish at that time as a young boy was to have a Voltes V robot of my own, a plastic one will do but because of life's humble condition, it did not happen.

The cartoon was finally re-aired about 20 years later.  At that time, I have a family already and never had the time to reminisce my childhood experience by watching the show again.

After almost forty years from the time it was launched in Japan,  the makers of Voltes V came out with a 40 Year toy robot (anniversary edition) made of die-cast metal.  This caught my attention and it sort of brought back some happy and sad memories.  However, for a 47 year-old husband, father, pastor, employee ---- buying an expensive toy is obviously no longer in my priority list.  It's not a secret to my family how I love to have this toy and how it became an important part of my childhood.

As a Christian and pastor, the phrase "laser sword" has a new meaning to me now.  It reminds me instead of the Sword of the Spirit, as mentioned by the Apostle Paul in his letter to the Ephesians in Chapter 6 verse 17.  "Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God."  This same Word of God, is alive and active and it is sharper than any double-edged sword! (Hebrews 4:12).

The phrase "let's volt in" on the other hand reminds me of how important unity is among the believers.  Ecclesiastes 4:12 says "A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."    Each battleship of Voltes V is powerful already, but when they do "volt in" they form a much powerful and formidable robot.  The Church, although composed of different gifted individuals, if we do cooperate and be united, we can accomplish more things for the glory of God.

A few days ago, a miracle happened!  My daughter Elaine who is now in South Korea for her university program bought me this toy as an early Christmas present.  She ordered on-line and had it shipped to Canada.

Truly God answers prayers .. even the simple prayer of a little boy!  Sometimes, it takes Him forty years though but He does answer prayers!  Thank you Lord and thank you to my family (Eleanor, Elaine and Ram).




(with my son Ram obviously enjoying assembling the robot with a very strict playmate)


Prayer
Wherever you are, whatever you situation you may be -- you need the love of Jesus in your life. Please say this prayer sincerely from your heart:  

Father God, I confess all my sins to you today.  Please forgive me.  Today, I open my heart to your Son Jesus Christ.  I accept Him in my life as my Savior and as my Lord.  May the Holy Spirit come to my life and make me the kind of person you want me to be.  In Jesus Name, I pray.    Amen.


I apologize if there are grammatical and spelling errors. I also apologize if I have missed acknowledging or making proper references to my sources, if any.  as it is purely unintentional.

If you are looking for a church in British Columbia, Canada please visit our website at:

 www.wordchristiancommunity.com







No comments:

Post a Comment