Tuesday 20 January 2015

B.F.F. Have You Got One?

Do you have a best friend? BFF?  Merriam and Websters Online defines B.F.F. as Best Friends Forever.  If you read the Bible, you’ll understand that if you are married, it’s important that your spouse is your best friend.  How hard is it to find a true friend?  They say in our time today, a true friends are an “endangered species.”

Capernaum   is located at the north corner of the Sea of Galilee, it was the center of Jesus activities in the Galilee and his town during that time. Jesus taught in the local synagogue. It was also the home town of the apostles Peter, James, Andrew and John, and the tax collector Matthew.

For first-century Jews:
-  There  sickness and sin are connected.  Any sickness was a manifestation of a much deeper moral issue
-  People got sick because of their sins.  Oftentimes  they attribute sickness  to  generational sins – they believe that the sins of their parents can cause a serious illness to the children.
-  To be forgiven, the following must happen in this order:
1.      HEALING  
2.      CLEANSING  
3.      SACRIFICE  
In our story in Mark 2, when Jesus returns to Capernaum, he “disregarded” the Jewish law even though he understands it and has adhered to it in the past.  In this story,  healing and forgiveness do not take place in the order that is understood and accepted by first-century Jews.  Instead, the following happens:
1.       The man’s friends, made a sacrifice of  their time and effort, offer the man before Jesus.
2.       Jesus says, “Your sins are forgiven,” thereby proclaiming him clean.
3.       Jesus heals the man.

What caught my attention in this story are the four friends of the paralyzed man.  They climbed up the house, and then made some holes in the roof and laid the man down straight right in front of Jesus.  This is the reason why I said the story has a touch of humour.

What is a True B.F.F.?

1.  A true BFF trusts and have faith in Jesus Christ (v5)
I think the first important thing that tells us about the character of the four friends is their trust and faith in Jesus Christ.  Imagine they had to go through a lot of obstacles.  The Bible says  “do not get equally yoke with unbelievers..” 2nd Corinthians 6:14
These four friends in our story did something unconventional for the sake of friendship.  They climbed on top of the roof, laid down a blanket with their friend just to bring him to Jesus.

2. A true BFF stays with you even during times of trials (v3)
The Bible tells us in Proverbs 17:17 “A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.”   
The sad thing is … sometimes we stick to a friend because they flatter us… they always agree with us.  They say to us what we want to hear.   That is even more dangerous.  A true friend is one who can come to you, look you in the eye and point out your faults… right on your face.  A true friend understands that a “gentle rebuke goes farthest with a man of understanding.” 
3.  A true BFF brings you closer to Jesus Christ (v4).

Conclusion:
God’s love is manifested through the friendship of someone else.   God’s friendship is expressed through someone else’s love.
There is a true friend who sticks closer than a brother … His name is JESUS

13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command. 15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 15:13-15

Is Jesus your B.F.F.?


PRAYER
Wherever you are, whatever you situation you may be -- you need the love of Jesus in your life.  Please say this prayer sincerely from your heart:  
Father God, I confess all my sins to you today.  Please forgive me.  Today, I open my heart to your Son Jesus Christ.  I accept Him in my life as my Savior and as my Lord.  May the Holy Spirit come to my life and make me the kind of person you want me to be.  In Jesus Name, I pray.  Amen.

(The above article is an excerpt from a sermon delivered at WCF Richmond on July 26, 2014)
(I apologize if there are grammatical and spelling errors.  
If you are looking for a church in British Columbia, Canada please visit our website for more information at www.wordchristianfellowship.com

No comments:

Post a Comment