Tuesday 20 January 2015

Opening the Floodgates of Heaven (Biblicality of Tithing)

Read Malachi 3:3-12

If there is one topic that preachers are trying to avoid, it’s the topic of giving. Just like any other Biblical principle, tithing is in the Bible and it has to be preached.  Remember that preachers are just “expositors” of the Word.  The message is not our message, it’s the Lord’s and we’re just His messengers.  Uncomfortable as we may be in the topic of giving or tithing, it’s something that we have to talk about .   Whether the church will respond favorably or not, is another story .

The Bible says 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'   This was mentioned in Deuteronomy 6:16 and mentioned by Jesus in Luke 4:12 when the devil was tempting him in the wilderness.  I searched the Bible and found out that the word test was mentioned 58 times and in most cases it talked about God testing man or the Israelites testing God and He was not pleased with that.  But there is one occasion when God said that we can TEST Him and this is in Malachi 3:10 when He was talking about giving. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 

Do you know what a flytrap is?  It’s something we use to trap flies.  Have you seen a flytrap?  In the Philippines, usually it’s a piece of paper that we place on top of the dining table. I remember when I was a young boy, my mom would buy those fly traps and she would place them all over and I would find myself accidentally touching them.  Oh they’re so sticky and gluey.   It contains such a honey-like substance that attracts the flies.   One day, there’s this fly that got attracted to a fly trap, so when the fly saw that honey-like substance, he said “I want the honey I want the honey I want the honey!”  So the fly flew straight to the fly trap and landed on it and he began eating the honey and he was so happy saying “ I got the honey I got the honey I got the honey”  So, when the fly was all full and so bloated with honey, he tried to leave but obviously he’s stuck… so the trap started to shout “I got the fly I got the fly I got the fly”
I’m sure you understand the point this story is trying to tell us…sometimes we thought we are in control of our money, but in reality, our money is the one controlling us.

Is Tithing Biblical?
In the Old Testament, we can see that God has instituted tithing 500 years even before before the law of Moses. 
Abraham started it in Genesis 14, Abraham gave tithes to King Melchizedek. 
Jacob continued it.   In Genesis 28 he said “this stone I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth. 
Then during Moses time, it was made part of the Old Testament law.   Leviticus 27:30 says “A tithe of everything from the Land whether grain from the soil or fruit from the trees belongs to the Lord.”

It was further confirmed hundreds of years later by the wisest man who has ever lived, <<CLICK>>  King Solomon.  In Proverbs 3:9-10 he said “honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops.  
 500 years later, the Lord spoke through a prophet named Malachi.  He said “Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it.”

I don’t think there is any argument about tithing in the Old Testament. But some people will say we are New Testament believers.  We are no longer subject to Old Testament laws like tithing.  We are no longer subject to the laws?  Didn’t Jesus Christ abolish the law?  Well, yes and no. The law of sin and death – Jesus Christ has abolished that.  Yes we are no longer a subject of that.  If we have Christ in our heart, if we commit a sin, we don’t die spiritually anymore.  We just claim assurance of forgiveness in 1 John 1:9 “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  But there are other Old Testament laws that still apply to us, in fact, Jesus even expanded the coverage of certain Old Testament laws.  What do I mean by that?  Let’s see…

First of all, Jesus did not abolish the law.  He said himself in Matthew 5:17  "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.”

Question:  Did Jesus abolish the law or not? NO.  In fact, do you know that Jesus even expounded or expanded the Old Testament laws.  Jesus was a lot more strict.
He said during His sermon on the mount, in Matthew 5 ---
On Murder -  "You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, 'Do not murder,  and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.' But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother  will be subject to judgment
On Adultery  -  "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.‘   But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart
On Revenge     "You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.  You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven.

This next verse is very important and this has been subjected to wrong interpretations.   In Matthew 23:23  "For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest income from your herb gardens, but you ignore the more important aspects of the law—justice, mercy, and faith. You should tithe, yes, but do not neglect the more important things.”

Question:  Did Jesus abolish TITHING?  NO!  Why, because He said the opposite.  He said, you should tithe, YES!  Yes means yes! I don’t know why some people will tend to interpret this word as it is some sort of a metaphor or allegory.   So when Jesus said you should tithe, Yes! He means “yes.”  I don’t know how else to interpret this.   Sometimes, we make the simple things complicated.  Sometimes, when we read the Bible, we try to “read between the lines” when in fact everything that you have to read is already “on the lines.”

But the issue in this verse is not tithing, the issue is the failure of the Jews especially the Pharisees to do the more important things in life, i.e. justice, mercy, faith.  
This is similar to what Paul said in 1st Corinthians 13.
If I speak in the tongue of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,  but do not have love, I gain nothing.  Let’s add something that Jesus said, “if I give my tithes but do not have love, I am nothing.”

Maybe you will ask,  "will this apply to us? Jesus is talking to the Pharisees."  Read this verse: "For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.”   Matthew 5:20


Why didn’t Jesus preach about tithing?  Well, I don’t know why He did not preach tithing.  He might have a long preaching about tithing.   It’s found in John 21:25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Or maybe aside from Matthew 23:23 where Jesus is clearly saying that we should tithe, maybe He did not preach tithing at all.  You know why… because He doesn’t have to… you know why?  Because the Jews had no issue about tithing. They were all tithing.  They were all very obedient to the law.  In fact, their issue is becoming too attached to the law that they are overlooking the more important things like love, justice, mercy.  Their issue is too much religiosity.  Their issue is too much strictly compliant with the laws and because of that, their  eyes are spiritually blind that they cannot truly see that the Messiah was already in their midst.
Do you think if we know that WCF members are all tithing, we would preach about tithing?  Probably NOT.  Probably we’ll mention it “in passing” in some of our sermons but not devote the whole sermon about tithing because there are more pressing issues. 

Let us look at some of the most respected Christian leaders of our time today,  preachers who believe and practice tithing:

Dr. Rick Warren, author of Purpose Driven Life and pastor of Saddleback Church said “the purpose of tithing is to teach us to always put God first in our lives”.   If just happen to see how God has blessed Saddleback Church in Orange County – their property there is probably the size of Richmond Center or even bigger. They have their own roads and an overpass.  They probably have 7 worship centers and their Children’s Ministry alone has 3 buildings.   You know one reason they attribute this tremendous blessing?  It’s because they are faithful givers. Rick Warren himself, is reported to just have kept 10% of his royalty earnings from his book Purpose Driven Life.  In his case, he gave the 90%.  He returned all his salaries as a pastors during the time he was earning enough from his book.  Rick Warren said:
 ““the purpose of tithing is to teach us to always put God first in our lives”

Dr. David Jeremiah, pastor of Shadow Mountain and radio preacher.  He said “tithing is a matter of priority, a method of proving God and a measure of provision.   

Greg Laurie of Harvest Christian fellowship, he said I CANNOT AFFORD NOT to Tithe. 

One of my favorite preachers, the late Dr. Adrian Rogers said that “God’s tithe is to be brought to God’s house on God’s day so that God’s work will be done God’s way.”  He was also quoted as saying “a faith that hasn’t reach your wallet probably hasn’t reached your heart”  Pastor Rogers said one Sunday when the elders had taken up the offering and brought the plates down to the altar, he took the plates and held them up in the air and he gave a prayer: "Lord, regardless of what we say about you with our lips, this is really what we say about you, this is really what we feel about you. This is really what you mean to us. Amen."  

Charles Stanley of In Touch ministries said “when we give our tithe to God, we provide for His work, prove his faithfulness and show him honor.

Ed Lapiz in his book siksik, liglig at umaapaw has admonished his readers “subukan ninyo” or try it and then you’ll see how God will respond.

Ron de Villa , Senior Pastor of Word Christian Fellowship ““Your attitude about tithing (faith-giving) clearly reflects your faith and obedience to God.”

From our verse today, Malachi 3:10, God is telling us:

1. Tithing is clearly a command from the Lord (v10a)

Verse 10 starts with the word “BRING.”  The Lord is not even saying “please,” not because the Lord is impolite, but because He is the Lord, He is the King… He is giving us a command.  He said “BRING” the tithes into the storehouse.    The Bible says “the Earth is the Lord’s and everything in it. Psalm 50:10-11 says “for every animal of the forest is mine, and the cattle on a thousand hills. I know every bird in the mountains, and the creatures of the field are mine.  Since everything is owned by the Lord, including our very life, He doesn’t need to say “please”

2.  Following or ignoring the Lord’s command has its consequences. 

If we ignore the Lord’s command, in verse 8 it says “we are robbing God.”  Is this too harsh?  Of course not… because it’s His.  We are just caretakers.  We are just stewards.  He said in verse 9 to the Israelites, your whole nation is under a curse because you are robbing me.  If church members are not following the command and we are not faithfully tithing, we are also robbing God.  We should know what the consequences are by not following.   But let’s not focus on the negative, let’s focus on the positive side… what if we OBEY?
The Lord said “TEST” me on this… He’s saying “just try obeying me” and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it.  I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not drop their fruit before it is ripe,” says the Lord Almighty.  “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the Lord Almighty.

3.  God will certainly bless those who will obey – not just the person but the church as well.

The BIBLE said the purpose of TITHING as well…so there may be food in the storehouse.  Tithing is meant for the operations of the CHURCH.  The money you send to your families is not considered TITHING.  Tithing is given to the church so the church can sustain its operations.  We don’t have enough time today to discuss “grace giving” Some people would reference to 2 Cor. 8:7 (please take note).  


Those of you who have not experience giving your tithes.  I’m not expecting you to start next week.  Do it gradually.  Do it slowly.  It will hurt, yes  I know.  But remember what King David said “I will not give offerings that cost me nothing.”  Giving precedes the blessing”  God is only asking a proportionate part of your income. If you earn less, you give less. That’s plain and simple. 
The big question is: 
Why are you struggling?
  Why are you drowning in debt?
 Why cant you have financial stability?  
Could it be because you are not OBEYING God?

There is a huge volume of blessing that awaits people who obey.
Test Him and you will see!


PRAYER
Wherever you are, whatever you situation you may be -- you need the love of Jesus in your life.  Please say this prayer sincerely from your heart:  
Father God, I confess all my sins to you today.  Please forgive me.  Today, I open my heart to your Son Jesus Christ.  I accept Him in my life as my Savior and as my Lord.  May the Holy Spirit come to my life and make me the kind of person you want me to be.  In Jesus Name, I pray.  Amen.

(The above article is an excerpt from a sermon delivered at WCF Richmond on June 8, 2014)
(I apologize if there are grammatical and spelling errors.  
If you are looking for a church in British Columbia, Canada please visit our website for more information at www.wordchristianfellowship.com

No comments:

Post a Comment